Monday, February 6, 2017


To all my Psychology Fam

This is an actual assignment I had to turn in during my 500 level Master's in Counseling class. It is titled "Letter to Freud," and as the title suggests, that is just what it is. Have fun reading it! :D

Letter to Freud
Dear Freud,
            I want to thank you for all that you contributed to the world that I now live in. I can remember the first time I heard your name, it was during my first psychology class in high school. My teacher at that time was Ms. Kitkowski, and she spoke about your contributions to psychology. You paved the way for a young gay boy at seventeen years old who did not know what he wanted to do with his life until he took his first class in psychology. It is because of you, Freud, that I will have a career and meaning in my life. Even though I do not agree with all of your theories or the way that you go about your therapeutic style, I would not be where I am today without your pioneering efforts to make the field of psychology and counseling what it is today.
            I would like to think since you started this whole healing effort in the world that you would look at those who follow in your footsteps kindly from the other side. However, in addition to learning about your theories in every psychology class I have taken in the past six to seven years, I have also had the chance to learn about your very distinct personality. If you were alive you would definitely not agree with my therapeutic style, and you would say I’m full of shit while throwing a temper tantrum. In God’s infinite mercy, let’s hope he allowed for you to see others’ points of view, especially in the realm of psychology, without judgement or ill will. If you have even the faintest bit of interest in me, you would also appreciate my subtle clever humor written in this letter.
            I think you would also like know that there are even some psychologists who make a living by attacking your theories. A personal favorite that I have found many clinicians in the psych-world like is your theory of “penis envy.” I could tell you my thoughts on penises all day since I’m a young gay man with a strong sex drive, and I want to try my hand at sex therapy too, but that’s a topic for another day. You personally inspired Karen Horney to develop a theory in stark contrast to yours called “womb envy.” I know that you are probably laughing at this on the other side, but just know that you are still impacting the field, even in some semi-humorous ways. Full disclosure Freud, I like my penis, I have no interest in bearing children like Horney believes, but I don’t envy my penis either, or envy other penises. I’m comfortable with my penis.
            I will continue to add my fair share to the psychology blood-line that you have created, even though I don’t fully agree with your theories, or character. I will even use some of your techniques, I have tried my hand at hypnosis and I have found that I am effective with it. I also like your idea of free association, but between me and you, I know that you developed that technique by rambling a bunch of bullshit while drunk and high at a bar with your friends. I can totally see you flaunting your new technique to the world while causing a scene due to your big ego (clever reference here, I know), but I’m glad you had the balls to do it before anyone else. Thanks again Freud, and I’d like to hang out with you for a bit when my time comes.


With Thoughts, Dusten

No comments:

Post a Comment